My Photo
Name:
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Friday, February 03, 2006

Early morning optimism

Boy was it hard to get up this morning. I have to be at work at 8 every morning so I'm usually up and ready to go by 7:30. This gives me time to grab a bite to eat, watch a bit of the news, and generally prepare myself for the day both physically and mentally. For some reason I was just moving slow this morning because by the time I dragged myself out of bed and through the shower it was 7:50, leaving me just enough time to throw some shoes on, quickly brush my teeth, and head out the door. It's going to be a long day.

But enough griping. I thought since the last poem I posted, though beautiful, was a bit of a downer, I'd give y'all something a bit more optimistic this morning. This is a short little piece I found in an anthology that basically sums up my everyday outlook on life. Or at least, the outlook I try to maintain and occasionally succeed at upholding...

Sometimes
Sheenagh Pugh

Sometimes things don't go, after all,
from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel
faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail,
sometimes a man aims high. and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war;
elect an honest man; decide they care
enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.
Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best efforts do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we are meant to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen; may it happen for you.

(my favorite line: "Some men become what they were born for." Here's hoping)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home