My Photo
Name:
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Go Deacs!

I experienced my first ACC basketball game in person last night, and even though Wake lost I had a blast. Cat managed to sneak me into the student "Screamin' Deamons" section with her. I went incognito dressed in the gold and black tie-dye and spent the entire game on my feet screaming at the (idiot) refs and booing FSU. I am a bit hoarse this morning but it was all worthwhile. After the game, we met a friend of Cat's for coffee. It was a lot of fun to tread through her former Wake days. I felt honored to be invited along.

I didn't have too much time to come up with a poem to match last night's experience. If anyone has a favorite that comes to mind send it to me and I'll post it tomorrow. In the meantime, I ran into this one by a poet I'd never heard of before. If you aren't reading this in a library or something, try reading it aloud. All the alliteration is tantalizing for the tongue.

White on White
Hailey Leithauser

Rug dropped sugar,
fresh, wet iris on marble dresser,
the chopping of combers under cold sun,
rain-faded boards of proud, paint-
poor churches, great

dumb snows hiding
inside clouds hidden inside sky. Bring
two together and we see the old lot
of language to ledger tint
from tone, hint from

whisper (not quite
sauterne, closer to crisper champagne);
to cite complement, how as a snail stains
a cement path, the pearled trace
kindles in light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home